Sunday, January 23, 2011

Money Saving Challenge

I went to CVS last night
Got 12 pk Bounty papertowels, this put me over my P&G limit so I could get $10 ECB
1 bottle Tilex $2, used $1 off internet printable Q=$1, this is a great price for my area

Lately I've still been feeling a little sick, so I'm trying not to push myself too much so I do not relapse.
Friday night we used a Groupon at a local restaurant and had dinner with 2 friends, it was a wonderful deal. We got cocktails and apps and meals for 4 adults for less than $60 total. :)  I love a good del.

We did our monthly budget review together and decided we will be tightening our belts. DH has been eating out at lunch a lot with his best friend. I can feed both of them at lunch cheaper than 1 lunch out. So they are both coming home 4 days a week (the 5th is a company lunch so it's free).

I have cancelled our movie channels-they went up from $8 to $24, we don't watch them often. We have DVR/Netflix/and over 900 dvds in our collection. We don't need the movie channels we can watch one of ours. DH balked slightly but when I showed him he agreed he'd rather have the $ to spend on buying a movie or going to theater.

For entertainment since it has been cold and snowy I have been watching tv that I have DVR'd, reading a great deal,and starting to craft a bit.  My book club at the local library changed it's time and type. Now it is a combo quilting/book club discussion at 10am on Tuesdays. Well since I work and do not/cannot sew this doesn't fit for me and there were no others within 20 miles. Next best thing which I believe I like even better-I joined Goodreads online. I found 2 book clubs with my interests and a group that trades "LendMe" ebooks for the Nook. I'm enjoying it immensely. During a cleaning/organizing/purging session in one bedroom I found a decorative hat box filled with my yarn and crochet hooks. I decided to make a few things to keep me busy, so I found ravelry.com to be a wonderful resource. I am working on learning to knit but I'm not very good yet. My mom has also decided that it's probably time I learn to sew as well. When I was a kid I remember the curtains she made lasting longer than the ones I just had to have from walmart....that ended up fraying after a few washes. I know I hear from everyone it is definitely cheaper to make things yourself so I'm going to make that a goal to work on this year-learning to sew. When we decorate a home I know there will be many windows to get coverings for. We shall see how well it goes. I'm wondering if this is a skill that has just skipped my generation for the most part? My mother and grandmother between the two of them could repair, alter, or make just about anything when I was a kid. They didn't buy throw blankets, they made them. Most people I know my age just go buy new........  My mother has decided I will no longer be a part of my lost generation she is passing on her skills to me. I'm also looking forward to the quality time with mom

2 comments:

  1. Nice shop at CVS! I sure hope you feel better.

    I enjoyed reading about all of your money saving. It is so nice that your Mom is passing her skills onto you. Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol thanks Precious. I have to admit that I have alterior motives....she promised if I tolerate the sewing lessons(I always get frustrated and poke myself even with a thimble and end up bleeding) she'll make me her famous margaritas :) YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete